From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Last rites: app-admin/gkrellm & plugins
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2023 11:38:01
1 On Saturday, 28 January 2023 11:12:26 GMT Dale wrote:
2 > Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > On Saturday, 28 January 2023 09:17:35 GMT Michael wrote:
4 > >> Since my coding ability is even worse than Dale's I join him in kindly
5 > >> asking for a maintainer/dev to take it on and keep it running.
6 > >
7 > > I too am finding it hard to imagine life without gkrellm. I think it needs
8 > > more than just a maintainer though - it needs a replacement for upstream
9 > > as well.
10 > I agree. It needs someone to take care of it not only for Gentoo but
11 > for other distros as well. It will be more than just keeping the ebuild
12 > up to date. I'm hoping that someone somewhere will take it up. I'd
13 > think it is used by a lot of people. Surely someone can do coding
14 > updates as well. Only needs one, maybe two, people.
15 >
16 > I found a video on conky. Link below. It's kinda scattered so I found
17 > myself skipping ahead. There is a few times where it shows what it
18 > looks like. Set up could be a nightmare for someone like me. It sounds
19 > pretty complicated.
20 >
21 > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHtpLEoRKmg
22 >
23 > Home page has a couple screenshots too.
24 >
25 > https://github.com/brndnmtthws/conky#screenshots
26 >
27 > Conky may work but I don't see me liking it as much as I do gkrellm.
28 >
29 > I hope someone will take it over and keep gkrellm running. Maybe then a
30 > dev can keep the ebuilds updated. Given the original guy died, someone
31 > has to replace him for sure.
32 >
33 > Let's keep our fingers crossed. ;-)
34 >
35 > Dale
36 >
38
39 I haven't used conky for some years now, its development must have improved
40 since. I recall some problem when setting it up as dockable. It didn't play
41 nice with other windows - but that may had something to do with the window
42 manager I was using back then. Anyway, even after spending time configuring
43 it to suit my requirements, I found gkrellms to be better in every respect.