From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] insane backends
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2017 02:19:51
1 171030 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sun, 29 Oct 2017 22:39:31 -0400, Philip Webb wrote:
3 >> 'sane-backends-1.0.27' just stabilised, so I updated to it.
4 >> Previously I had selected 4 items from the list in SANE_BACKENDS,
5 >> which is shown by 'emerge', ie 'epson epson2 plustek plustek_pp'.
6 >> My scanner is an 'Epson V550 Photo'.
7 >>
8 >> Wanting to test which of the 4 items above was needed, I tried each.
9 >> Inadvertently, I tried emerging 'sane-backends' with none included
10 >> & discovered that my scanner still works regardless !
11 > ISTR that with use_expanded variables like this,
12 > if you don't set the variable then all options are enabled,
13 > so you've just built an un-Gentoolike version that works everywhere.
14
15 That doesn't matter much beyond compile time, which is not excessive :
16 Xsane will interrogate the scanner & when it's told it's an Epson V550
17 it will load the appropriate driver & go from there.
18 From the point of view of system maintenance,
19 it's much simpler to let it do that than try to pick out the driver myself.
20
21 > You could check this by using qlist
22 > to see what has been installed with and without SANE_BACKENDS set.
23
24 'qlist sane-backends' doesn't show anything like that.
25
26 Thanks for the explanation.
30 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
31 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
32 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca