From: Ashley Dixon <ash@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] printing pdfs
Date: Sat, 30 May 2020 13:25:13
1 On Sat, May 30, 2020 at 09:06:16AM -0400, james wrote:
2 > After thumping all teh cups codes, it works again, but some office files
3 > from a pc that were originated in europe, cause the print to hickup. The hp
4 > printer complained about version 1.... version 2 on the tiny hp display.
5 > Rebooted several times and all my linux printing started working again. I
6 > have the original hp firmware (10 years old). I do not trust the updated hp
7 > firmwares, for several reason....
8
9 H.P.\ software is just horrible in general. They are one of "those" companies
10 that treat Linux users as second-class citizens. The ppd files they distribute
11 are full of bugs; I remember spending multiple weeks fixing the description file
12 for their then-newest home printer, and I still never got the scanner working
13 (their own software segfaulted, and customer support told me to download Windows
14 as a fix). After a while, I gave up and bought a Lexmark B2442 laser printer,
15 since I only ever print text documents. It has never given me any problems.
16 The `ppd` files work out of the box. Coming from H.P., it is a lovely
17 experience.
21 Ashley Dixon
22 suugaku.co.uk
25 DA96 D18A