From: "Anthony E. Caudel" <acaudel@×××××.com>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Compile question
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 02:58:50
1 I have an AMD 64x2 with MAKEOPTS set to -j3.
2
3 I have noticed that some compiles (glibc for example) will use the
4 system to the fullest. top reports %CPU near 0%. Other compiles, such
5 as openoffice seem to use only half as much cpu time. For this top
6 reported consistently near 50%.
7
8 So I'm wondering if the openoffice compile used only one of the amd
9 cores. Do some of the emerges ignore the MAKEOPTS setting? Or is this
10 an upstream issue with the compile not using threads?
11
12 Tony
13 --
14 Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary
15 Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
16 -- Benjamin Franklin
17 --
18 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list