From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Strange outbound requests
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 19:52:20
1 On 01/22/2012 02:29 PM, Grant wrote:
2 >
3 > Since my local firewall is rejecting the outbound requests, the time
4 > elapsed between the request and the block should be very short. Is it
5 > possible the 'sleep 1' portion of the script is causing the failure to
6 > log the connection request? The outbound connection is only attempted
7 > a few times per day. If so, how would you recommend fixing that?
8
9 If the firewall is being nice and rejecting the connection, then yeah,
10 it could be opening/closing in under a second. `sleep` doesn't require
11 an integer[1], so you can probably have it sleep for 0.1s or something
12 like that.
15 > I'm also wondering if there is a command I could run on the
16 > router/firewall machine that would log something from the outbound
17 > request. Even if the information logged isn't useful, it would be
18 > nice to see a confirmation of the outbound requests logged from
19 > somewhere besides the firewall.
20
21 What kind of firewall is it? Can you update the rules? If so, make it
22 silently drop outbound connections instead of rejecting them; that way,
23 the connection will hang open for a little bit.
27 [1] This is probably a bash-ism, but it works here.