From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] nvidia NVS 5200M
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 14:45:58
1 On Fri, Jul 27 2012, Mark Knecht wrote:
2
3 > On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 12:41 PM, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
4 >> On Thu, Jul 26 2012, Mark Knecht wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Check the nvidia site. It will tell you the exact driver Rev that
7 >>> supports this GPU.
8 >>
9 >> Thanks. I see that 295.53 supports the NVS 5200M. Am I right in
10 >> believing that this means all drivers >= 295.53 support it.
11 >> This would be good as there are a few such in portage.
12 >>
13 >> thanks again,
14 >> allan
15 >>
16 > Almost certainly yes. I've used only NVidia cards for about 12 years
17 > and never had one I still cared to use become unsupported. Of course I
18 > cannot guarantee the future but I think you're pretty much set with
19 > any NVidia card these days.
20
21 Thanks, good to know. This means that if I choose a laptop with NVS
22 5200M, I will have video. I would prefer nouveau (emacs bug with
23 nvidia). I would still prefer the intel 4000 soln as I can get a
24 smaller machine. But I worry that the intel might not drive my hi-res
25 external monitor with its 2560x1600 resolution
26
27 > Good luck,
28 > Mark
29