From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] aligning SSD partitions
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2012 12:54:55
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Wed, 05 Sep 2012 06:07:13 -0500, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> I might also add, I see no speed improvements in putting portages work
5 >> directory on tmpfs. I have tested this a few times and the difference
6 >> in compile times is just not there.
7 > Probably because with 16GB everything stays cached anyway.
12 I cleared the cache between the compiles. This is the command I use:
13
14 echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
15
16 That clears all cache from what I read and it also shows up as cleared
17 in top too. It's amazing how much cache can build up over time. Right
18 now, just about all my ram, 16Gbs worth, is used. I check it with
19 gkrellm. It seems no matter how much ram you have, it will use it for
20 something.
21
22 Still, no difference. There is also a thread on the forums on this
23 too. I think I posted my results on there but it was a while back. I
24 think I ran that while in single user mode too.
25
26 Dale
27
31 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!