From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new machine : suddenly Python 3 appears
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 08:07:33
1 On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 20:24:01 -0400, Philip Webb wrote:
2
3 > We've been warned not to use Python 3 , so it's not installed in this
4 > box, but it was included along with Python 2 in the Stage3 for the new
5 > machine. I now find that 13 pkgs have been compiled relying on it
6 > & Portage refuses to unmerge it. Is this safe ?
7
8 Perfectly safe, because we weren't warned to not use it, only to not set
9 it as the default. That is reasonable because older scripts won't be
10 aware of the differences between python 2 and 3, while newer scripts can
11 explicitly call whichever version they need. The only problem with
12 setting python 3 as the default is that some older scripts may break.
13
14 Since portage became python3- aware there is no reason to not have it
15 installed beyond the 30MB of disk space it occupies.
19 Neil Bothwick
20
21 WinErr 00C: Memory hog error - More Ram needed. More! More! More!