From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Wayland assorted problems
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2021 23:55:10
1 On 2021.11.14 17:51, Wol wrote:
2 > I'm still trying to get Wayland to work reliably. At the moment I log
3 > in at a TTY, then fire it up with "startplasma-wayland" ... except it
4 > doesn't start properly!
5 Seems to work fine for me (with minimal testing.)
6 >
7 > I'm GUESSING part of the problem is my video card isn't set up
8 > properly. But I thought I'd followed the gentoo guide, and compiled
9 > the Radeon and R600 drivers into my kernel. I prefer to compile stuff
10 > in the kernel and not as modules, and I told it to load the drivers
11 > into the kernel, but am worried I might have missed something. I've
12 > changed it for the next kernel so it'll be a module loading what it
13 > wants from the firmware directory, so hopefully that'll be better but
14 > I'm not sure.
15 >
16 > I did an lspci -k and got this for the video card ...
17 >
18 > 09:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
19 > [AMD/ATI] RV710 [Radeon HD 4350/4550]
20 > Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. RV710 [Radeon HD 4350/4550]
21 > Kernel driver in use: radeon
22 > Kernel modules: radeon
23 1c:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
24 [AMD/ATI] Cape Verde XT [Radeon HD 7770/8760 / R7 250X]
25 Subsystem: XFX Pine Group Inc. Cape Verde XT [Radeon HD
26 7770/8760 / R7 250X]
27 Kernel driver in use: radeon
28 Kernel modules: radeon, amdgpu
29 >
30 > I notice it says "VGA compatible", and not what the wiki page leads
31 > me to expect - something like "Video driver" - which makes me think
32 > the card isn't set up properly.
33 >
34 > The symptoms basically are that wayland always hangs the first
35 > attempt to start it. Once killed from another tty it MAY (or may not)
36 > start successfully.
39 > I mentioned Thunderbird - that keeps on losing contact with the
40 > compositor or something which is why it keeps crashing ...
41 No crash, although I didn't run it very long.
44 > And I run a multi-user system. I tried to fire up wayland as a second
45 > user, and got the error
46 >
47 > kwin_xwl: /tmp/.X11-unix is not owned by root or us
48 >
49 > Of course it isn't - it's not a user specific link so of course it's
50 > going to clash with another user!
51 When you run multiple copies of xorg, each one runs in a different
52 console. I wouldn't be surprised if wayland simply isn't set up to do
53 that.
54 >
55 > I attach the wayland log I got in case it gives anybody any other
56 > clues as to what's going on.
57 The attached log includes the above kwin error. Can you post one where
58 there isn't another wayland session running? I'd also confirm that
59 directory does go away when no X or wayland is running. You might need
60 to manually delete it.
61
62 Jack