From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] from Firefox52: NO pure ALSA?, WAS: Firefox 49.0 & Youtube... Audio: No
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2016 14:53:28
1 On Sunday 18 December 2016 00:36:15 Heiko Baums wrote:
2 > Am 18.12.2016 um 00:23 schrieb Andrej Rode:
3 > > For reference did you try to write an init script for a piece of
4 > > software in SysVInit, systemd and OpenRC to be able to compare them?
5 >
6 > Yes, at least I had to read a lot of them. And init scripts are really a
7 > lot easier to write and read than such a systemd service file,
8
9 Personally, I find OpenRC scripts and systemd unit files comparable, at least
10 in my limited experience with writing OpenRC init scripts. When people
11 compare systemd unit files to init scripts, they usually mean *raw* (LSB?)
12 sysvinit scripts (as IIUC Debian use{s,d}), with all of their ridiculous
13 amounts of boilerplate. OpenRC-style scripts, if done the modern, declarative
14 way (which I have), are also fairly easy to read and write. But then you're
15 almost writing them like systemd units: mostly setting a bunch of variables
16 that say *what* you want, not *how* you want it (you know, declarative), see
17 openrc-run(8).
18
19 (Of course OpenRC is not the only alternative, but I don't know enough about
20 others to be able to comment on them.)
21
22 > particularly you can separate the configuration to another file while
23 > you need to copy the whole service file to another place in which it
24 > won't be updated by the package manager if a new version would be released.
25
26 That is incorrect, systemd allows for overriding files in
27 /etc/systemd/system/${unit_name}.d/*.conf. Furthermore, service units can
28 read environment variables from a file via EnvironmentFile. Although I'll
29 grant you that AFAIK there's no convention for where place for them.
30
31 I'm not convinced that you actually understand systemd particularly well. It
32 seems to me that if you want to develop an informed opinion about it, you
33 should:
34
35 a) Read the official documentation (don't just rely on what others say; even
36 when well-intentioned, people can say stupid things).
37
38 b) Try to set up and/or run a systemd-based system, and seriously try to grok
39 it. Only then will you be able to compare it to other init systems properly.
40
41 I did a variation on (b) and migrated one of my systems to systemd, just so I
42 could see what it was like. Up until then I had only read about how "anti-
43 Unix" and "bloated" and "evil" etc. systemd was by one side, and how "super
44 duper awesome" it was from another side, thus I was very cautious at first.
45 Quite frankly, in retrospect I suspect that that divide in opinion is what
46 really compelled me to try it for myself. And that first-hand experience was
47 very important, because I was able to learn for myself the good and bad of
48 systemd. In the end, for me, personally, it turned out that there was more
49 good than bad, so I stuck with it.
50
51 > Heiko Baums
52
53 Greetings
54 --
55 Marc Joliet
56 --
57 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
58 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup