From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] Last rites: app-text/xpdf
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 10:37:29
1 On Saturday 28 Jan 2012 10:03:42 Philip Webb wrote:
2 > 120128 Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 > > One of the reasons for the 30 day warning
4 > > is to give you time to copy the ebuild to a local overlay
5 > > if you want to continue running the software at your own risk.
6 >
7 > I've already copied /usr/portage/app-text/xpdf/ to /usr/local/src/ :
8 > is there anything else I will need, if I decide to go that route ?
9
10 I'm reluctant to go down this route. Things that xpdf depends may or many not
11 be updated, then I'll have to keep an eye out for the latest xpdf code and
12 download and update this manually, as well as any dependencies which may fall
13 out of the tree. This will create a maintenance liability for me.
14
15 I'd like to continue using xpdf, but unless a maintainer shows up it'll have
16 to bite the dust. :-(
17
18 Anyhow, another alternative may be mupdf - it opens files when called from
19 another application (e.g. a browser) but unlike xpdf I have not found a way of
20 saving a file once opened without having to redownload it with the browser.
21 --
22 Regards,
23 Mick