From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Soft scrolling on framebuffer consoles - New version of the patch - with GPM handling.
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2022 15:47:08
1 Hello Alan,
2 On Saturday, 31 December 2022 14:08:43 GMT you wrote:
3
4 > What I'm thinking here is that you might be installing a font which is
5 > bigger than the 8x16 standard that you appear to be booting with. To
6 > check this, would you please do:
7 >
8 > # file /lib/rc/console/font
9 >
10 > , which should return a message like:
11 >
12 > /lib/rc/console/font: Linux/i386 PC Screen Font v1 data, 256 characters,
13 > Unicode directory, 8x16
14 >
15 > What is the size of this font, here (where it says 8x16 for my font)?
16 > The reason I ask is, I've got a horrible suspicion that one of the C
17 > functions which copies screen data when the screen size is changed can
18 > only copy to a same sized or (possibly) _bigger_ screen (i.e. with a
19 > smaller font). If this is indeed the case, it might explain why you're
20 > seeing a hang, here.
21
22 I think you've put your finger on it:
23
24 $ file /lib/rc/console/font
25 /lib/rc/console/font: Linux/i386 PC Screen Font v2 data, 256 characters,
26 Unicode directory, 22x11
27
28 I use consolefont="ter-122n" from the terminus-font package. It's a long time
29 since I was able to read a high-resolution screen in its native resolution.
30
31 Is there some way I can get the UEFI BIOS to boot with that font, or a larger
32 one? Or perhaps let the system boot without setting a font and then changing
33 it later?
34
35 Neither of those looks easy to do. I'd better have a good root through the
36 BIOS options to start with.
39 Regards,
40 Peter.