From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] webkit-gtk version/slot confusion
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2014 14:48:26
1 On 09/03/2014 17:34, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > I build uzbl (a webkit-based browser) from the git version, but I pull
3 > in the dependancies, including webkit-gtk, via portage. A bit of
4 > explanation first. uzbl has 2 options...
5 > 1) webkit-gtk-1.x combined with gtk+-2.x
6 > 2) webkit-gtk-2.x combined with gtk+-3.x
7 >
8 > To view Youtube and other Flash sites, you need Flash (dohhh). Flash
9 > is a gtk2 app, and does not work with gtk3. So I need option 1) above,
10 > which I force via a "local.mk" file. I have it working on machine A, so
11 > I go to machine B. On machine B, the uzbl git build swears up and down
12 > that it can't find webkit-gtk-1.x, and fails. I compare the 2 machines.
13 > On machine A, I apparently emerged net-libs/webkit-gtk-1.8.3-r201:2
14 > whilst I had emerged net-libs/webkit-gtk-1.8.3-r300:3 on machine B. So
15 > I switched machine B over to net-libs/webkit-gtk-1.8.3-r201:2 and uzbl
16 > built fine, and works.
17 >
18 > Now for the question... I had always thought that it was the major
19 > version number of the ebuild that determined the major version number of
20 > the package, not a weird extension attached to the end of the version
21 > number of the ebuild. What gives?
24 The major version of the package has not changed, for both it is still
25 1.8.3. That is determined by upstream and the ebuild maintainer should
26 not change that.
27
28 There is some difference in built binaries between the -r201 and -r300
29 *gentoo revisions*, again this is determined by upstream and how the
30 package builds. Apparently, USE flags were not appropriate as the
31 maintainer chose not to go that route.
32
33 From a purely "look at the version and it should make total sense"
34 perspective, the versioning is far from ideal. From a "that's what
35 upstream does, what else do you expect me to do?" perspective, it's the
36 best solution.
37
38 There are far worse ways to go about it, such as two totally different
39 packages plus a virtual, all for no good reason
44 Alan McKinnon
45 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com