From: Colin <signofzeta@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Dual Core CPUs & SATA HD
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 03:10:23
1 On Jul 30, 2005, at 5:40 PM, Dhruba Bandopadhyay wrote:
2
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > I'm just about to install gentoo on a dual core Intel CPU machine with
6 > a SATA HD. So, essentially, I have two questions. What CFLAGS are
7 > recommended for a dual core CPU and what precautions must one take to
8 > have the SATA HD recognised by the install media? I don't think the
9 > CPU is 64 bit in case you need to know.
10
11 A multi-core single-CPU system (yours) is virtually identical to a
12 single-core multi-CPU system. I would use MAKEOPTS="-j2" or higher
13 (basically, twice what you would do for a single-processor system) in
14 your make.conf to take advantage of all that parallel processing
15 power. Use the normal CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS, there aren't any special
16 options for multiprocessor systems there. When you compile your
17 kernel, be SURE to include SMP (symmetric multi-processing) support
18 to let the kernel use both cores.
19
20 SATA hard drives, if supported natively by the southbridge, require
21 no extra drivers. Since your motherboard must be relatively new,
22 this is your case. If they aren't supported natively, one of the
23 various sata_* modules will autoload and handle it. They might be
24 enumerated as SCSI devices, though (/dev/sd* rather than /dev/hd*),
25 but I believe this is perfectly normal.
26 --
27 Colin
28 --
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list