From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo or Linux from Scratch - Perspectives?
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 05:23:59
1 On Sun, Aug 14, 2005 at 03:42:19PM -0400, Paul Hoy wrote
2
3 > This email isn't intended to troll, but to explore Linux variants
4 > that share certain characteristics.
5 >
6 > I really like Gentoo and I like that fact that it does a pretty good
7 > job at supporting Gnome, however, it's still behind other releases,
8 > such as Fedora, in terms of when it releases updates, etc.
9 >
10 > Linux from Scratch looks very interesting: it appears to rapidly
11 > support the latest updates and it has decent documentation. Does any
12 > one have any perspectives on Linux from Scratch, from a Gentoo point-
13 > of-view? Does anyone wish to share a comparison of the two?
14
15 Look at it this way, if you're competent to build Linux-From-Scratch,
16 you should have no problems whatsoever building from tarballs the few
17 packages you can't find in Gentoo, and putting them in /usr/local or
18 /opt. Heck, I was doing the...
19 ./configure --with-various-options && make && make install
20 schtick back in my Redhat days.
23 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
24 My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca
25 --