From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: IrDA crashes every time
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 18:13:19
1 Hi,
2
3 On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 17:50:37 +0100
4 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
5
6 > Yes, no error. The module is installed fine as long as I have run
7 > setserial first.
8
9 Hm, that's how it should be with fast infrared drivers. All OK, then, I
10 guess.
11
12 > > You might want to try to have the default
13 > > serial driver not touch the IrDA port at all -- the simplest thing
14 > > would be to try running without serial plug support for the start.
15 >
16 > I am sure that if I could first improve my understanding with regards
17 > to how serial ports are being used, I would be able to find the
18 > solution much easier ;-)
19 >
20 > I have enabled serial drivers in the kernel because I intend to
21 > configure the winmodem for dialup connections, as well as being able
22 > to connect my Psion PDA on the serial port.
23
24 You need serial drivers (what I called "serial plug support" before)
25 for the latter. The winmodem will probably use its own driver that
26 provides a serial device which is functionally equal to the ones from
27 the serial driver - but does not depend on the serial driver. But for
28 actually using the "real" serial ports on the back of your PC you'll
29 have to use the standard serial drivers. So no need for recompiling
30 here, the "setserial uart none" should suffice. An option that's left
31 would be compiling both IrDA drivers and serial device drivers as
32 modules and probing IrDA first and serial second.
33
34 > How does it exactly work? What is the "serial plug support"? Are you
35 > referring to the kernel modules for serial ports?
36
37 Yes, I was.
38
39 > > This seems to indicate that you're trying to use /dev/ttyS2. But as
40 > > you're not using the serial port IrDA driver but an extended FIR driver
41 > > the device is probably "irda0" (and it doesn't have a path, as it's a
42 > > network device). Try "ifconfig -a", it should be listed. I don't have
43 > > IrDA on my current machine, so I can't tell what exact configuration
44 > > setting must be changed from "/dev/ttyS2" to "irda0". Start with this,
45 > > first.
46 >
47 > Actually, ifconfig gives me not ida0, but irlan0:
48 > [...]
49
50 Hm, that's not how it should be. There should definately be the irda0,
51 too. That's the device the smsc FIR driver should provide. I just had a
52 look at the sources of the driver you're using (smsc-ircc2) and it
53 indicates that the error message "No transceiver found. Defaulting to
54 Fast pin select" may be an effect of a wrong ircc_fir setting. But I
55 can't help much further, here. The only suggestion left, obviously not
56 the best one, is to keep away from FIR and use SIR instead. As you'll
57 be using the "standard" serial device driver anyway, you can then
58 compile the IrTTY device driver instead of smsc-ircc2.
59
60 > I will be rolling up a new kernel soon so I can try leaving out the
61 > serial support drivers. As I said above I desperately need to
62 > understand how the serial port functionality works in linux. If this
63 > is getting too much OT for the list please email me directly so that
64 > we don't consume bandwidth. :-)
65
66 I don't suggest leaving out the serial drivers, as you'll need them for
67 the Psion connection. And reg. list traffic: You'll need this audience
68 if further problems arise as I'm at the end of my wisdom right here ;-)
71 -hwh
72 --
73 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list