From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Should this hardware work?
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 21:06:49
1 >> I'd like to buy a Sipix A6 portable printer for printing boarding
2 >> passes on the go since they can be had for around $20. It is said to
3 >> work in Linux:
4 >>
5 >> http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=SiPix-Pocket_Printer_A6
6 >>
7 >> but that page only mentions the serial connection and doesn't mention
8 >> the infrared connection. If it's working via serial, should it also
9 >> work via infrared? If not necessarily, should it definitely work via
10 >> a serial->USB adapter that works in Linux?
11 >>
12 >> - Grant
15 > Don't quote me on this, but in the past when I have used infrared, it used a
16 > pseudo serial connection. This should mean that once the infrared connection
17 > is established, you should be able to print as if it was a physical serial
18 > connection.
19 >
20 > Of course, getting the IR connection established might be easier said than
21 > done.
22 >
23 > HTH
24 >
25 > --
26 > Matt Harrison
27
28 Thanks Matt, I don't feel like coaxing infrared to work (never used it
29 before) so I'll get the adapter.
30
31 - Grant