From: Dale <teendale@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Protecting my server against an individual
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 01:04:04
1 Grant wrote:
2 >> > It has come to my attention that a particular person I know may be
3 >> > intent on attacking my server/website in any way possible. He doesn't
4 >> > know much about Linux but does know Windows. What kind of things
5 >> > should I lock down to protect my remote hosted server? I don't have
6 >> > time to get too crazy with security right now, but what kinds of
7 >> > simple tricks might this fellow learn by asking around on forums, etc?
8 >>
9 >> I assuming your server is a web host and it only is using port 80
10 >> (http) traffic.
11 >
12 > I do log in via ssh (port 22 I think) and it's also a mail server.
13 > How can I check which ports are open? Does shorewall handle that?
14
15 This is my theory. If you can, install webmin and shorewall. You can
16 use webmin to configure shorewall from what I have read. Basically you
17 want to block all but what you need to keep open, including ssh.
18
19 Hope that helps.
20
21 Dale