From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Thomas Drueke <tdrueke@×××.net>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] su in konsole takes much longer to complete in KDE 4.5.1
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 21:12:51
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 20:08 on Monday 20 September 2010, Thomas
2 Drueke did opine thusly:
3
4 > Hi,
5 >
6 > I installed KDE 4.5.1 over the weekend following the
7 > "remove-all-old-kde-packages-first" approach on the gentoo webpage. So
8 > far everything seems to be fine except one thing.
9 >
10 > When I type "su -" in konsole it takes 20-30 seconds to complete.
11 > Doing the same on a text console the command completes immediately.
12 >
13 > I don't have NIS or LDAP enabled. "strace su -" came back with an
14 > authentication failure immediately so no much info from there.
15 > Also "top" didn't show any suspicious process consuming the time.
16 >
17 > I found a thread from may which might be related to my observation
18 > ("KDE takes ages to show password screen after suspend").
19 > The solution there was to upgrade to KDE 4.4.4 which does not fit here.
20 > Google didn't show much on this topic as well.
21 >
22 > Any ideas what might cause the delay or how to get more close to the
23 > root cause ?
26 20-30 second delays due to DNS timeouts have hit me so many times it's always
27 the first thing I check, even when it seems irrelevant.
28
29 Does your machine have a local hostname, and do you have an entry for it in
30 either DNS or /etc/hosts?
34 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com