From: JimD <Jim@×××××××××××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo-User <gentoo-user@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Bad mem, over heat and games
Date: Sat, 06 May 2006 04:14:29
1 Ok, this is a three part question. I am on "vacation" and I am using my
2 wife's laptop that used to have winxp and now has Gentoo. Starting
3 today I started to get garbled video output followed by a lock-up. I
4 have been using the laptop as my dev platform and keeping it running
5 24x7. I am not sure if this is messing it up or not. It seems to stay
6 pretty warm. I bought an extra 1GB of mem for the laptop and put that
7 in today after the first lockup. I ran memtest for about 10 minutes and
8 didn't see any issues.
9
10 The laptop has an Intel "Extreme" graphics chip. Every time before the
11 lockup, the video gets all messed up with vertical and horizontal
12 lines. I just went in the bios and changed the CPU speed to LOW which
13 is now 800Mhz Pentium M instead of 1.73GHz, changed the screen
14 brightness to the lowest. I also switched the X driver from i810 to
15 vesa. So far it seems a little more stable. However, after a recent
16 startx, when X first comes up I see a quick flash of my previous desktop
17 on the screen. It seems like the memory wasn't cleared and the junk
18 left in it is displayed for a second while X is initializing. This
19 "Extreme" chip uses system memory. Has anyone had issue like this?
20
21 I have always been a desktop person so I am not used to these "tender"
22 laptops. Do these issues sound like they are caused by over heating?
23 Or could it be hardware? This thing is only 2-3 months old. I better
24 not have to send it to Toshiba already. I have a Satellite M45-S2692.
25
26 Now for the games part. I can't compile/play some of the bigger games
27 and now I am POed : )
28 Are there any recommendations for fun games in Gentoo that could run
29 fine with the vesa drive? I am trying to find some game to help pass
30 the time on my "vacation" at my in-laws ; )
31
32 Thanks,
33
34 Jim