From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: OT: Linus ranting about Gnome3
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 09:34:28
1 On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 03:13:50 +0200
2 Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Am Samstag, 16. Juni 2012, 19:06:30 schrieb Michael Mol:
5 > > On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 6:56 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
6 > >
7 > > <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
8 > > > Am Samstag, 16. Juni 2012, 23:12:48 schrieb Alan McKinnon:
9 > > >> On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 00:00:04 +0300
10 > > >>
11 > > >> Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com> wrote:
12 > > >> > On 16/06/12 21:27, walt wrote:
13 > > >> > > I guess they figure the desktop will be extinct relatively
14 > > >> > > soon and their customer base will vanish unless they capture
15 > > >> > > the smartphone market.
16 > > >> >
17 > > >> > Ah yes, the death of the desktop PC, which is happening for 15
18 > > >> > years now.
19 > > >> >
20 > > >> > Are we dead yet?
21 > > >>
22 > > >> Fine comment.
23 > > >>
24 > > >> Yes indeed, Microsoft's *real* cash cow - millions of corporate
25 > > >> desktops running $LATEST_WINDOWS and $LATEST_OFFICE are all
26 > > >> going to die out inthe next year. Not.
27 > > >
28 > > > and in corporate speak that means Windows XP and Office 2003/2007
29 > > >
30 > > > because they work, they don't get in the way of doing things, the
31 > > > people are trained and nobody needs to smudge around on the
32 > > > screen,
33 > >
34 > > The most effective way I can imagine for keeping me on-task: Force
35 > > me to use a Windows XP workstation.
36 > >
37 > > I won't be using _any_ personal credentials through the web browser
38 > > or any other part of the system. I'm not taking that risk on a
39 > > post-support version of Windows.
40 >
41 > win xp is still supported.
42 >
43 > have you ever dealt with 'standard office workers'?
44
45 No, I haven't much. I refuse to deal with such people (because if I
46 have to they produce a reaction in me that gets me fired...)
47
48 But I have dealt with the tools they use
49
50 > They want to use
51 > the same tools every freaking day.
52
53 You must mean the typical corporate bespoke app. You know the ones -
54 the apps that wraps the company's entire business logic and makes
55 business possible.
56
57 Now these apps are atrocious. The worst of the worst you will ever find
58 in the Android App Store is a beautiful model of efficiency compared to
59 the best bespoke corporate app out there.
60
61 The buttons go in the weirdest places. The workflow is bizarre. They
62 tend to make no bloody sense at all. But people have gotten used to the
63 save button in the lower left corner where it cannot be found, and
64 changing that crashes the entire business process for a week. If anyone
65 thinks I'm kidding, I assure you I am not.
68 > The icons on the same place. The
69 > menu items unchanged. The smallest change throws them off balance.
70 > Going from one office version to another - like 2000-2003 is a
71 > disaster. And while 2007&2010 are superior in every regard these
72 > people are helpless if you confront them with such drastic changes.
73
74 And an Office upgrade is a slick easy one to do.
75
76 If Office upgrades cause such havoc, imagine what changing the bespoke
77 stuff does....
80 > Now imagine an update to vista, win7 or win8
81 >
82 > Not everybody is a computer geek.
87 Alan McKinnnon
88 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com