From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] distcc and crossdev, anyone?
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2011 13:57:08
1 On Saturday 02 April 2011 23:47:42 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2
3 > Yes. the script that I use to start up and enter the chroot for each
4 > system not only does the usual mounting of /dev/ and /proc in the
5 > chroot, it also rsyncs /etc/portage and /var/lib/portage/world* with the
6 > real target. Make.conf has to be maintained manually, because there are
7 > settings in the two that need to be different, although I suppose I could
8 > split out the common settings, USE, CHOST etc, into a separate file and
9 > source that.
10
11 In my case the chroot is identical in structure to the real target, apart from
12 the number of cores, so I can copy make.conf into the chroot without risk.
13
14 > > to those on its target? And do you nfs-mount only the PKGDIR, or the
15 > > whole of /usr/portage/ ?
16 >
17 > Just PKGDIR and DISTDIR, I have an NFS exported directory that contains a
18 > global DISTDIR and individual PKGDIRS, as well as my and layman's
19 > overlays.
20
21 I'm hoping not to have to use any overlays here, mostly because the target box
22 is going to be a LAN server, so shouldn't need any cutting-edge versions of
23 anything.
24
25 My setup mounts /usr/portage over nfs from the target; it's going to contain the
26 latest tree for rsync'ing clients from, so it's the master version.
27
28 Interesting - many thanks. It's all getting quite involved.
31 Rgds
32 Peter