From: Anton Shumskyi <efsinua@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Parallella supercomputer
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 11:34:32
1 Hi=) as far as i heard Parallella runs linux kernel on Zynq ARM core ONLY
2 and Parallella cores act as a co-processor. So you can't get all its fancy
3 cores out of box=(( you'll probably need to make some extreme kernel +
4 openjdk hacks (and may be a lot of others).
5 The main problem is that system runs on ARM core and Parallella cores are
6 actually OpenRISC cores and i think that linux is not ready for such
7 multiarch system, but I hope someday it will.
8 I wanted to get some Parallella boards too, but for my needs maybe couple
9 of Beagle Bone Black are more appropriate=) It's an ARM Cortex-A8 dev board
10 with 2 1GHz cores, some 3d accelerator, 512MB DDR3 RAM, 2GB integrated eMMC
11 storage + microSD slot, LAN, USB host and micro USB client for power and
12 external PC control, microHDMI and audio through that HDMI, and a lot of
13 GPIO and other pins. Doesn't have so many cores but 45$ only and it may run
14 gentoo=) Perfect for scalable OSGi/JEE home cloud.
15
16 http://beagleboard.org/Products/BeagleBone%20Black
17 http://circuitco.com/support/index.php?title=BeagleBoneBlack
18
19 (sorry for bad grammar, not my native language xD)