From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CONFIG_IOMMU_SUPPORT???
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 19:15:13
1 On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 11:58 AM, Hilco Wijbenga
2 <hilco.wijbenga@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On 24 August 2011 10:55, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 9:18 PM, Hilco Wijbenga
5 >> <hilco.wijbenga@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >>> On 23 August 2011 20:38, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >>>> Hi all,
8 >>>>   Can someone point me toward somehow enabling CONFIG_IOMMU_SUPPORT?
9 >>>> It is apparently a kernel config option no required by
10 >>>> virtualbox-drivers but I'm not finding it in the 3.0.3 kernel. I
11 >>>> suspect there's something else I need to enable before this option
12 >>>> becomes available? Unfortunately I haven't been able to Google what I
13 >>>> need to do to find it.
14 >>>>
15 >>>> Thanks,
16 >>>> Mark
17 >>>>
18 >>>> * Messages for package app-emulation/virtualbox-modules-4.1.2:
19 >>>>
20 >>>>  *   CONFIG_IOMMU_SUPPORT:       is not set when it should be.
21 >>>>  * Please check to make sure these options are set correctly.
22 >>>>  * Failure to do so may cause unexpected problems.
23 >>>> <SNIP>
24 >>>>
25 >>>> k2 linux # cat .config | grep IOMMU
26 >>>> CONFIG_GART_IOMMU=y
27 >>>> # CONFIG_CALGARY_IOMMU is not set
28 >>>> CONFIG_AMD_IOMMU=y
29 >>>> # CONFIG_AMD_IOMMU_STATS is not set
30 >>>> CONFIG_IOMMU_HELPER=y
31 >>>> CONFIG_IOMMU_API=y
32 >>>> # CONFIG_IOMMU_DEBUG is not set
33 >>>> # CONFIG_IOMMU_STRESS is not set
34 >>>> k2 linux #
35 >>>
36 >>> I noticed the same. There does not appear to be any such option but
37 >>> luckily its absence does not appear to affect running VB at all.
38 >>>
39 >>
40 >> At the time of writing this I haven't tried Gregory's item about the
41 >> CONFIG_CALGARY_IOMMU option. I'll try that later when I get to the
42 >> machine but the reading I did on the web sounded like that was for IBM
43 >> specific hardware.
44 >>
45 >> Here it seems that on the machine I was working - Intel based, i920 -
46 >> VB won't install Win 7 64-bit without it. I get a bunch of messages
47 >> that it will install but many cause problems. Are you running any
48 >> 64-bit VMs?
49 >
50 > Sort of. I'm working on installing Gentoo AMD64 in a VB machine. No
51 > problems so far but I've only just started (it's a weekend project).
52 > Certainly no Windows.
53 >
54 >> However I've got another Intel machine where I can install Win 7
55 >> 64-bit in VB just fine with no complaints at all. Here's the IOMMU
56 >> stuff from that box:
57 >>
58 >> mark@c2stable ~ $ uname -a
59 >> Linux c2stable 3.0.1-gentoo #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Aug 8 13:05:19 PDT 2011
60 >> x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU X 980 @ 3.33GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
61 >> mark@c2stable ~ $ zcat /proc/config.gz | grep IOMMU
62 >> CONFIG_GART_IOMMU=y
63 >> # CONFIG_CALGARY_IOMMU is not set
64 >> # CONFIG_AMD_IOMMU is not set
65 >> CONFIG_IOMMU_HELPER=y
66 >> CONFIG_IOMMU_API=y
67 >> # CONFIG_IOMMU_DEBUG is not set
68 >> # CONFIG_IOMMU_STRESS is not set
69 >> mark@c2stable ~ $
70 >>
71 >> Except for the AMD option they seem identical unless I'm misreading something.
72 >>
73 >> I'm now wondering if there is both a BIOS and chipset component to
74 >> making this work? I'm pretty sure I've got all the Vt-d stuff enabled
75 >> but I'll have to wait to go into BIOS on both of them to compare.
76 >>
77 >> I'll try to do a diff later today between both machine's .config files
78 >> to look for differences.
79 >
80 > Can't you simply install the Calgary IOMMU as well? I know that it
81 > seems IBM based stuff (I noticed it myself when I was going through
82 > the same process) which you probably do not need but I assume it can't
83 > hurt (apart from making the kernel a bit bigger). But if it fixes your
84 > problem... Probably worth a try.
88 I Agree and will try it. I was only saying I didn't previously because
89 all the write ups made it sound like it was for some other purpose.
90
91 I think my other question is where does this message about
92 CONFIG_IOMMU_SUPPORT get generated? Is it in the ebuild? If so then is
93 the ebuild incorrect because the option doesn't exist? Or does the
94 option exist but I cannot figure out how to get make menuconfig to
95 make it available? There are a number of web pages like this one:
96
97 http://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/IOMMU_SUPPORT.html
98
99 which seem to indicate that I should see an IOMMU option somewhere in
100 the drivers section of the kernel config. I do not, however, find that
101 right now which is why I came here to ask.
102
103 Anyway, I will be trying that later today.
104
105 Cheers,
106 Mark