From: Ritesh Kumar <ritesh@××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo LiveUSB
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 20:27:46
1 On Jan 11, 2008 3:00 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Friday 11 January 2008, Anthony E. Caudel wrote:
4 > > 2nd question: I must be dense on this one so someone help me out.
5 > > Since a USB stick is seen as a hard drive, why can't I do a standard
6 > > install to it? Is it because until lately they haven't been large
7 > > enough? I'm thinking of using an 8GB one.
8 >
9 > There's a few reasons:
10 >
11 > 1. The memory used on those devices has a limited life - about 100,000
12 > writes for the good ones and maybe 10,000 for the bad ones. With a
13 > standard install, frequent writes are the norm (think cache and other
14 > similar things). This usually ends up at the same spot on the disk,
15 > meaning your new install will last about a month if you are lucky.
16 > There are ways around this, for instance how a LiveCD does things.
19 You are right about the re-write life of flash media. However, there are
20 filesystems which can help by not writing to the same location in the flash
21 media again and again. I recall JFFS2 being a such flash filesystem which is
22 available for linux.
26 > 2. Booting off it is a pain. You need drivers for the entire USB stack
27 > at boot time, which usually means a ginormous initrd.
30 Why not compile them in the kernel?
33 > 3. Size, which you mentioned
36 8GB is pretty large IMHO. You should be able to fit quite some software +
37 data on it. My *entire* gentoo distribution fits in just over 2GB... though
38 I must confess that I am a little minimalistic.
39
40 _r