From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: kernel config hell
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 23:32:19
1 Hung Dang wrote:
2 > I would suggest to follow the Gentoo handbook first.
3 > Leave all options you are not sure as default, using lspci to find out
4 > more about your hardware specifications.
5 > From my experiences I will make sure that the kernel is bootable first
6 > then adapt it to hardware later. Use modules or not is your choice, both
7 > ways work fine.
8 >
9 > If you want to make sure that thing is stable, you can back up your old
10 > config later then have a bunch of test kernels to test. The help from
11 > kernel config interface does help you to get a general idea about what
12 > is the purpose of the option.
13 >
14 > Not everyone can get the kernel work for the first try, do not panic.
15 > Once you get through the first time, thing will go more smoothly than
16 > you thought. It happened to me one year before but now it take me about
17 > less than 10 minutes to have the new kernel configured in my computer.
18 >
19 > Good luck,
20
21 I'll second what Hung said, getting your kernel right takes a bit of time.
22
23 However I'll add a few points. Back in the day I used to build super
24 stripped down kernels, but eventually realized it was kinda ridiculous.
25 Why spend almost thirty hours for almost no real world gain other than
26 driving yourself insane? It was almost worth my time on a Sparc5 with
27 64MB, but today you're better off spending your time cooking dinner and
28 spending the $20 you saved vs the restaurant on RAM. Well maybe you'd
29 need to do that twice. :-)
30 On the other hand I learned a fair amount about what not to screw with
31 by ripping everything out. If you want to go that route, it'll take you
32 around a week to make almost all the mistakes. Realize this will happen
33 and then enjoy the process. I also recommend taking notes or you'll keep
34 repeating your mistakes.
35 The other thing is don't get carried away in stripping things out of
36 your kernel. Need to mount and ISO, oops you removed loopback support.
37 Need to make your machine into a DHCP server, oops your removed (gah I
38 should remember this) sockets (i think). Need to use OpenVPN, oops you
39 removed tap/tun interfaces. The list goes on and on. Yeah you can
40 install those as modules once you figure out that they are missing which
41 can be frustrating when the errors aren't very clear.
42
43 My advice is take the middle path. Cut the complete crap out like
44 parallel ports, ISDN, and SCSI cards that aren't actually in your
45 system. Leave most of the rest alone for the most part unless you're
46 pretty sure you know what it is. As you get a bit more comfortable and
47 have a history of working kernels you can experiment more.
48
49 kashani