From: "Abraham Marín Pérez" <tecnic5@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo Machine Cleanup
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 06:34:33
1 Mark Knecht escribió:
2 > On 7/16/07, Samir Faci <samir.list@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Hi all,
4 >>
5 >> So, I have a gentoo install that's slowly evolved over the past 3
6 >> years
7 >> or so years. It's now so cluttered with packages, it's becoming
8 >> ridiculous,
9 >> especially for a headless server. What I'd like to do is be able to
10 >> remove
11 >> all KDE/Gnome/X/gtk/qt/...etc out of the machine and not have it
12 >> break the
13 >> machine completely.
14 >>
15 >> Any suggestion on how to do go about this? At this stage, I'd like the
16 >> server to have the basic system build, LAMP, and Postfix.
17 >>
18 >> If I start removing packages, then revdep complains about
19 >> dependencies and
20 >> ends pulling back the packages I had removed, same thing with world. I
21 >> globally removed all the X related flags I can think of.
22 >>
23 >> Also, in the process of switching to a hardened profile, which is one
24 >> reason
25 >> why I wanted to clean up the install.
26 >>
27 >> Thanks again,
28 >>
29 >> Any help would be appreciated.
30 >>
31 >> --
32 >> Samir
35 > Hi Samir,
36 > You'll probably get some answers more detailed than mine but
37 > fundamentally it goes something like this:
38 >
39 > 1) First do and emerge -DuN world and make sure everything is up to date.
40 >
41 > 2) By hand then emerge -C everything (for instance) with gnome or kde
42 > in the package name.
43 >
44 > 3) Next do an emerge --depclean and let portage remove packages that
45 > were needed for gnome or kde but not required now
46 >
47 > 4) Do a revdep-rebuild and see what it wants to pull in. If it's
48 > trying to pull in something you don't think is necessary then do an
49 > emerge -pe --tree and look at why it's getting pulled in. Either
50 > remove what's causing it to get rebuilt or let it get pulled back in.
51 >
52 > At this point it's lather and repeat if necessary.
53 >
54 > I've done this a couple of times. It' works but be careful that you
55 > don't reboot during the process as something might be gone that's
56 > still necessary.
57 >
58 > Hope this helps,
59 > Mark
60 I'd proceed similar to this, but changing order:
61
62 1) Edit /var/lib/portage/world and unlist every unwanted package.
63
64 2) Edit /etc/make.conf and explicitly unset every use tag related to
65 packages you don't want in your system.
66
67 3) run emerge --update --deep --newuse --ask world
68
69 4) run emerge --depclean --ask
70
71 5) run revdep-rebuild
72
73 If you update your system before removing unwanted packages from world
74 file you'll waste time updating packages that will be uninstalled
75 afterwards (and big packages, must be said). This way you'll update only
76 what you'll keep.
77
78 Needless to say, it's always a good idea to back-up your system before
79 proceeding.
80
81 HTH,
82 Abraham