From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Strange hickups while trying to compile a kernel in a chroot
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2017 14:11:14
1 On Sat, Feb 25, 2017 at 8:59 AM, <Meino.Cramer@×××.de> wrote:
2 > Fernando Rodriguez <cyklonite@×××××.com> [17-02-25 14:36]:
3 >>
4 >> Check the CONFIG_INITRAMFS_SOURCE option.
7 > I will check the configs...may be there is something not readable
8 > (permissions) ... I had copied a lot back and forth (I bought one
9 > of those crappy harddiscs, which became full after a while...;)
12 Did you actually check the CONFIG_INITRAMFS_SOURCE option? It should
13 be blank. If it is not, then whatever file it points to must exist.
14 It might exist on your host, but not in your chroot.
15
16 This option builds a kernel with an embedded initramfs, which is not
17 normally something you need. Some Linux live DVDs might use something
18 like this, but normal desktops generally do not. If your .config file
19 originated from one of these that could explain the issue.
20
21 Even if you wanted an initramfs this isn't the way to go about it.
22
23 (A bit of trivia, Linux actually ALWAYS has an embedded initramfs, but
24 by default it is empty.)
27 Rich