From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can I get a tip for reading eix output?
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 15:43:59
1 On Tuesday 16 June 2009 14:46:53 bn wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon ha scritto:
3 > >> What do the `!t' entries following the versions available mean?
4 > >
5 > > RESTRICT="test"
6 > >
7 > > You can find a clue in sub-section "Slots" under main heading "OUTPUT"
8 >
9 > Which in turn, means?
10 > m.
11
12 Before I answer, did you look for the section in the man page at all? It seems
13 pretty straightforward to me:
14
15 OUTPUT
16 Slots
17 In contrast to usual output of versions in emerge, eix can also print
18 slot names if they are nonempty and different from "0". Whether this
19 happens is determined by the PRINT_SLOTS variable and by the content of
20 the FORMATSTRING.
21
22 If slots are printed, the slot name is separated from the version num-
23 ber either with a colon, or the slot names are written in braces. You
24 can choose the preferred modes with the COLON_SLOTS variable. Some
25 Examples:
26
27 [snip]
28
29 1.0+i+l+v+s!f!m!p!b!s!t!u!i!d
30 This is version 1.0 which is subject to PROPERTIES="interactive
31 live virtual set" as well as RESTRICT="fetch mirror primaryuri
32 binchecks strip test userpriv installsources bindist"
33
34 It should be immediately obvious from reading the first two screens of text in
35 that man page that the author is utterly completely clueless about authoring
36 user documentation. It's about as helpful and communicative if he'd just done
37 a code dump.
38
39 With that in mind, it becomes apparent that the listed flags are all the
40 initial letter of the words in the PROPERTIES and RESTRICT lists. It's
41 confusing as hell, that's why I said you'd find a clue (and not a definitive
42 answer). Anyways, those items in the lists are all settings/variables
43 applicable to make.conf, fully described in the relevant man page.
46 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com