From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] spec_store_bypass mitigation
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2018 19:08:36
1 On Thursday, 7 June 2018 08:37:41 BST zless wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I just finished installing kernel 4.14.48 on two
5 > Intel laptops and I have different results for
6 >
7 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/spec_store_bypass
8 >
9 > On one of them it looks nice:
10 > "Mitigation: Speculative Store Bypass disabled via prctl and seccomp"
11 > but on the other it still says "Vulnerable".
12 >
13 > Any idea on what might influence this? The kernel configs are fairly
14 > similar, the only thing that's different is the microcode, which is from
15 > 2017 for the "vulnerable" one.
16 >
17 > Thanks
18
19 I would think it is cause by the microcode.
20
21 I have two really old Intel laptops and despite announcements to the contrary
22 I noticed the latest (stable) sys-firmware/intel-microcode-20180527-r1 changed
23 the Intel microcode version being loaded on both PCs, after I rebuilt the
24 kernel (4.9.95) to incorporate it (no initrd on either of them).
25
26 I see this for Spectre V2 which now includes IBPB and IBRS_FW:
27
28 $ dmesg | grep Spectre
29 [ 0.011385] Spectre V2 : Mitigation: Full generic retpoline
30 [ 0.011507] Spectre V2 : Spectre v2 mitigation: Enabling Indirect Branch
31 Prediction Barrier
32 [ 0.011645] Spectre V2 : Enabling Restricted Speculation for firmware calls
35 After you updated sys-firmware/intel-microcode did you rebuild and reboot the
36 *rebuilt* kernel on both PCs?
37
38 PS. For good measure I ran make clean first, but I'm not sure if this affects
39 the firmware.
42 Regards,
43 Mick