From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [gentoo-user] boot hangs forever at “Loading initial ramdisk...”
Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 01:12:38
1 On 5/13/21 6:51 PM, John Blinka wrote:
2 > On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 7:23 PM Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net
3 > <mailto:ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>> wrote:
6 > I'd start by removing any "quiet" or "splash" from the kernel command
7 > line.    You should be able to see them when you hit "e". I'm not
8 > sure
9 > if it will actually help, but it should be a start.
12 > Thanks, but neither one appears.  My command line is
13 >
14 > linux  /vmlinuz… root=UUID=… ro loglevel=4 nomodeset
15 >
16 > Here I’ve replaced the full name of the kernel and the uuid of the
17 > boot partition with ellipses because it’s too tedious to type.  I’ve
18 > scrutinized the actual ones for typos and am convinced there are
19 > none.  Leaving out the loglevel command doesn’t change the behavior at
20 > all.
21
22 Given  you say the UUID is for the boot partition, then both the linux
23 and initrd should just have the name of the kernel and initrd files
24 (without leading "/boot",) which sounds like what you've got.  I'd next
25 wonder if something is missing from the kernel/initrd combination, such
26 as a kernel module necessary for some early part of the boot process or
27 a file system (per Dale's suggestion.)  Assuming that you ran genkernel
28 after booting a live image and chrooting into the new system, then we
29 know the hardware can boot a good kernel/image combo.  Mainly I'm  just
30 thinking out loud here, trying to coax someone's little gray cells into
31 action.