From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: OOM memory issues
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 02:12:57
1 Rich Freeman <rich0 <at> gentoo.org> writes:
6 > A big problem with Linux along these fronts is that we don't really
7 > have good mechanisms for prioritizing memory use. You can set hard
8 > limits of course, which aren't flexible, but otherwise software is
9 > trusted to just guess how much RAM it should use.
10
11 Exactamundo!
12 Besides fine grained controls I want it in a fat_boy controllable gui!
13 Clustering is where it's at. NOW much of the fuss I read
14 in the clustering groups, particularly Spark and other
15 "in_memory" tools, is all about monitoring and managing
16 all types of memory and related issues. [1]
19 > It would be nice if processes could allocate cache RAM, which could be
20 > preferentially freed if the kernel deems necessary. If some pages are
21 > easier to regenerate than to swap, this could also be flagged (I have
22 > a 50Mbps connection - I'd rather see my browser re-fetch pages than go
23 > to disk when the disk is already busy). There are probably a lot of
24 > other ways that memory use could be optimized with hinting.
25
26 I think you need to look into apache spark. It is exploding. Technology
27 to run certain codes 100% in memory looks to be a revolution, driven
28 by the mesos/spark clusters. [2] The weapons on top of mesos/spark
29 are Python, Java and Scala (in portage).
32 hth,
33 James
34
35 [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-3535