From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] About this graphite stuff
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 19:24:42
1 Hi there!
2
3 Due to a MAJOR hardware problem I just got a new PC. It has an AMD
4 FX(tm)-4100 Quad-Core Processor which is a lot faster than my previous
5 AMD 4850e dual core machine. I'd like to emerge -e @world with
6 -march=native now, but I think about starting to use that graphite stuff.
7 You know, enabling the graphite USE flag for gcc, and adding
8 -floop-interchange -floop-strip-mine -floop-block to the CFLAGS in order
9 to gain some speed by parallelizing stuff or something like that.
10
11 What are your impressions on this? Is it fun? Will there be a noticeable
12 speed difference? Do packages fail to build? We just had a 'Graphite
13 causing trouble' thread here, the problem was that dev-libs/cloog-ppl
14 has to be rebuilt when dev-libs/ppl has been updated. Can there be other
15 problems, which would make me waste much more time than I could
16 possibly gain by using these optimizations?
17
18 Wonko