From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] coexisting GCC versions
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 23:31:08
1 On Sonntag 28 Juni 2009, Alex Schuster wrote:
2 > Roger Mason writes:
3 > > I need gcc 4.3 to compile a specific application. I am hoping that I
4 > > can install gcc 4.3 alongside 4.1.1 without suffering some awful
5 > > catastrophe. This is the output of emerge on the machine in question:
6 >
7 > [...]
8 >
9 > > Can someone confirm that I'll be able to use gcc 4.3 for the specific
10 > > application that needs it but then revert to 4.1.1 without having to
11 > > re-compile all or most of my system?
12 >
13 > I'm pretty sure you can. Emerge gcc 4.3, activate it with gcc-config,
14 > compile your application, and use gcc-config again to revert back to 4.1 if
15 > you like.
16 >
17 > Or keep 4.3 as default, I don't think you could run into problems.
18 >
19 > Wonko
20
21 he will over time. If you switch default compiler emerge -s world has to be
22 done.
23
24 But seriously, why staying with 4.1? it's old... and 4.3 was a nice release...