From: Todd Goodman <tsg@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] hard disk name changes within initramfs
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2012 14:32:50
1 * Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de> [121206 09:27]:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > on one of several machines I have a problem with initramfs.
5 >
6 > The machine has a single SATA drive. When the kernel boots it shows
7 > that it is called /dev/sda,....
8 > Now, within the init script of my initramfs it tries to mount /dev/sda2
9 > as root but fails.
10 > Since the initramfs spawns a shell (busybox) I can see the device files
11 > for /dev/sda?
12 > but fdisk /dev/sda fails.
13 > As it turns out, the harddisk is now named /dev/sdb with /dev/sdb?
14 > partition names.
15 [..]
16
17 I can't tell you why it changed but after my device names got messed
18 around with (after an upgrade) and the next boot mounted /home on /tmp
19 and an initscript blew away a bunch of home directories before I caught
20 it I switched to mounting via UUID. Once you find the UUID to use it's
21 easy and alleviates lots of problems in the future.
22
23 Todd