From: Raffaele Belardi <raffaele.belardi@××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gdm fails to start
Date: Tue, 23 May 2017 12:42:34
1 On Tue, 2017-05-23 at 14:05 +0200, Hogren wrote:
2 > I suppose there is a group in /etc/groups for gdm ?
3 >
4 > Does your user is associate with this group ?
8 Yes, there is a gdm group but my user is not part of it. I will test it
9 later since I cannot logout right now, but where did you find a
10 reference for this?
11
12 Searching for a reference myself, I found this not really related but
13 interesting (https://help.gnome.org/admin/gdm/stable/security.html.en):
14
15 "The only special privilege the "gdm" user requires is the
16 ability to read and write Xauth files to the <var>/run/gdm
17 directory.  The <var>/run/gdm directory should have root:gdm ownership
18 and 1777 permissions."
19
20 My /var/run/gdm has different permissions:
21
22 drwx--x--x  3 root gdm      60 May 23 10:19 gdm
23
24 I did not change or create this directory so it must be the default
25 created by the ebuild. Can anyone confirm that with these permissions
26 gdm works correctly?
27
28 raffaele