From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Scripts not working... HELP!
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 10:23:55
1 Walter Dnes writes:
2
3 > This message is coming from my 32-bit "hot backup" gentoo machine.
4 > For some reason, any script that I call on my 64-bit machine immediately
5 > returns to the command prompt. No warnings or error messages or
6 > diagnostics. Builtins and compiled executables work OK. For instance,
7 > if I have a script named "xyz" that goes like so...
8 >
9 > #!/bin/bash
10 > man bash
11 >
12 > ..., executing "xyz" or "~/bin/xyz" results in bash immediately
13 > returning to to the command prompt.
14
15 Weeeeird. I have no idea. The usual guess is that a partition is mounted
16 noexec, but that would give an error. Or that the script is saved in DOS
17 format, with CR-LF instead of LF endings, but that would throw a 'bad
18 interpeter' error.
19
20 Try 'strace ~/bin/xyz' (emerge strace if you don't have it) and compare the
21 output with your working machine, that should give some hints to what is
22 happening.
23
24 What happens if you change the script to this?
25
26 #!/usr/bin/man bash
27
28 Oh, now I _do_ have an idea. What about startup files, like .bashrc,
29 .bash_profile and such? Any recent chanegs here? Try:
30
31 #!/bin/bash -i
32
33 This forces the shell to be interactive, so it sources other startup files.
34 Add 'xv' (bash -ixv) to let bash output which lines are being executed.
35 Also put some debug info in .bashrc, .bash_profile, /etc/bash/bashrc,
36 /etc/profile to see what of them is being started.
37
38 And try another user without your personal startup files. Same effect?
39
40 Wonko