From: marco restelli <mrestelli@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Kernel modules: initramfs vs. /lib/modules
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2017 11:59:05
1 Hi all,
2 I am trying to understand a bit initramfs and genkernel and I have
3 few (basic) questions.
4
5 I understand that one must have in the initramfs those modules which
6 are required to boot the system, for instance to access /dev . Now:
7
8 - can a module be present both in the initramfs and as kernel module
9 in /lib/modules ?
10
11 - how does genkernel decide which modules to put in the initramfs ?
12
13 - can modules included in the initramfs be unloaded once the system is
14 running, as modprobe -r
15
16 - can modprobe load modules from the initramfs ?
19 Well, clearly I am a bit confused about the topic - I hope somebody
20 can help me a bit!
21
22 Thank you,
23 Marco