From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Updating world
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 00:11:53
1 On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 22:09:15 +0000, CJoeB wrote:
2
3 > >> ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge --update --deep world
4 > > That will update every package to the latest ~x86 version, and cause
5 > > them all to downgrade again the next time you emerge world. As this
6 > > includes packages that are both critical and hate being downgraded,
7 > > like glibc, this is a really bad idea.
8 > >
9 > > You would have to really hate someone to want to put them through
10 > > this.
11 >
12 > Okay, I see your point. I don't make a habit of unmasking packages.
13 > However, as stated in my previous message, I can't get past the kde
14 > ~x86 updates to update other packages that might have valid stable
15 > updates. I don't care if kde updates to an unstable version, I would
16 > just like to get past it so I can see what else needs to be updated.
19 The command suggested would only switch KDE to testing, it would switch
20 your whole system, a step that is extremely difficult to reverse without
21 reinstallation.
22
23 If you can't find a culprit in /etc/portage, as already suggested, try
24 renaming that directory and running .emerge -puDN world to see if it still
25 happens. Stable packages shouldn't depend on testing packages so either
26 you have a setting in /etc/portage that is causing this or a buggy ebuild.
27
28 Another possibility is that this is caused by something in an overlay,
29 which you can quickly test by commenting out any OVERLAY or layman
30 entries in make.conf.
34 Neil Bothwick
35
36 I can't walk on water, but I can stagger on alcohol.