From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How low can you go?
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2011 09:04:05
1 On Sunday 03 April 2011 15:13:09 luis jure wrote:
2 > on 2011-04-03 at 10:47 Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 > >It's been done on a C-64, but I think a 3.5KB box with no mass storage
4 > >might be a little too challenging.
5 >
6 > 3.5? wow, i always thought that the name meant it had 20K... like the C64
7 > and C128. but no. now, almost 30 years later, i learn that it had 5K, 1.5
8 > of them used by the system (you wouldn't want to leave the system without
9 > ram, would you?)
10 >
11 > i never had a vic-20 (my first computer was the atari st-1040 in 1988),
12 > but a friend of mine had one in the early 80's and i always wondered at
13 > all the things you could do with the thing. i couldn't program, so i used
14 > to sit next by him telling him my ideas for a program for algorithmic
15 > composition, that he tried to code.
16
17 Nice, a walk down memory lane :)
18 The first computer we had at home (apart from an IBM my dad borrowed a few
19 times) was an Atari 1040 ST.
20 We got it in 1986 and I can't even remember all the things I did with it.
21 It came with a copy of GFA Basic. This was a bit like C or Pascal, but then
22 with Basic commands.
23 No line numbers, a decent editor and a compiler and linker. I could mix
24 machine-code, basic-code and C-code into a final program to get a faster
25 result.
26
27 The machine still worked last time I tried it and is currently still stored at
28 my parents with strict instructions not to throw it away :)
31 Joost