From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard Drive Crash - Please Help
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 18:57:24
1 > > All of the laptop's data has now been moved to the desktop system over
2 > > the network. I still don't see how I can move the data back to the
3 > > laptop after reformatting it. Is buying the laptop hard drive adapter
4 > > the only way?
5 >
6 > Please try not to top post in this ML.
7
8 Sorry about that. In another stroke of bad luck my desktop's mouse
9 stopped working at the same time my hard drive started acting up so
10 I've been tabbing around firefox and using Gmail's "Quick Reply" which
11 (predictably) top-posts. The mouse is working again now.
12
13 > Boot your laptop using a Linux LiveCD. Mount your hard drive (e.g.
14 > mount /dev/hda /mnt/hda. Start sshd. Go to your desktop and run something
15 > like:
16 >
17 > cat archive_file.bz2 | ssh -c blowfish user@laptop_ip_address "cd /mnt/hda ;
18 > tar -xjpvf archive_file.bz2"
19
20 I guess my problem is getting the laptop back on the wireless-only
21 network with a madwifi card when the LiveCD doesn't have a net.ath0
22 interface.
23
24 I did just try chrooting into my laptop's /dev/hda3 copy on my desktop
25 system with:
26
27 chroot /home/grant/hda3 /bin/bash
28
29 and the vi command always seg faults. Does that mean the /dev/hda3
30 image is done-for and I should just start the laptop over from scratch
31 and import my /etc/ and /home/ directories when it's re-installed?
32
33 - Grant
34 --
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list