From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Lockdown: free/open OS maker pays Microsoft ransom for the right to boot on users' computers
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2012 06:18:40
1 On Mon, Jun 04, 2012 at 10:34:58AM -0400, Michael Mol wrote
2 > On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 9:33 AM, BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 > > We'll see if SecureBoot actually even makes it to market; if it
5 > > does, expect some Class Action lawsuits to occur.
6 >
7 > We'll see. Don't forget _you can turn the thing off_. I expect the
8 > lawsuits will come around when the ability to turn the thing off or
9 > reconfigure it is removed.
10
11 The reason there is so much hate for TPM/Palladium/etc is that they're
12 tied into failed legislation proposed by former South Carolina Senator
13 Fritz Hollings. He was jokingly referred to as "the Democrat from
14 Disney", because he seemed to spend more energy representing big media
15 than the people of his state.
16
17 Fire up Google and look up the terms...
18 SSSCA CBDTPA "Fritz chip"
19
20 This was intended to be draconian mandatory DRM on every PC.
21 Importing or building one without it would result in five to twenty
22 years in prison, and fines between $50,000 and $1 million. It would've
23 effectively outlawed linux. MS is trying to use its corporate muscle to
24 do via market manipulation what legislators couldn't.
27 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>