From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portage just unmerged my openrc
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 19:04:07
1 On Tuesday, 12 May 2020 19:47:21 BST Alan Mackenzie wrote:
2 > Hello, Gentoo.
3 >
4 > Portage has just unmerged my openrc-0.34.11. I didn't ask it to. I'm
5 > not very happy about this.
6 >
7 > I did
8 >
9 > # emerge -auND @world
10 >
11 > , and after dealing with five packages, it just warned me that openrc
12 > was a critical system package, then went ahead and unmerged it.
13 >
14 > I presume that if I'd tried to reboot, I would have failed. I've
15 > manually emerged openrc again (version 0.42.1), and it looks like it
16 > will work, but I haven't tried it yet.
17 >
18 > What's up with Gentoo at the moment? Uninstalling system critical
19 > packages automatically is a big deal, and shouldn't happen.
20
21 I can't see how 'emerge -auND @world' would unmerge any package, let alone a
22 @system package, without first emerging a later version. Have you messed up
23 with your make.profile symlink by any chance?