From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Linux, reiserfs and file fragmentation
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 14:19:16
1 On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 07:53:57AM -0600, Penguin Lover Dale squawked:
2 > I did a little test. Something fishy here. I did a test with the /data
3 > partition. I store pictures and documents there and it was fragmented.
4 > I cp -av to another reiserfs formatted partition then remade the file
5 > system and copied it back using basically the same command just in
6 > reverse. This is what I got now:
7 >
8 > root@smoker / # /root/fragck.pl /data/
9 > 3.88457269700333% non contiguous files, 1.04344379261138 average fragments.
10 > root@smoker / #
11 >
12 > That is not a lot better than it was before. It was 4.6% before. How
13 > is that? I copied it over then ran the command right after without even
14 > touching the files.
15
16 Is the /data partition on reiser? Did you enable tailpacking?
17 As I don't know what the script you ran actually does, I don't know
18 how it handles block suballocation... Tail packing is something that
19 can conceivably introduce data fragmentation in place of internal
20 fragmentation.
21
22 W
23 --
24 Pintsize: Curses! HOURS in there and I STILL don't have mutant ice powers!
25 Pintsize: Sorry waffles, you can't be my sidekick until I have some
26 superhero powers to fight crime with... What? "Waffle powers"?
27 Somehow I don't see "soaking up syrup" or "browning in a toaster"
28 getting us a lot of hot supervillain ladies.
29 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 433 days, 12:47
30 --
31 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list