From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE plasmashell and wallpapers.
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2020 08:07:22
1 Dale wrote:
2 >
3 > OK.  This is what it spits out, one after another:
6 > kf5.kpackage: No metadata file in the package, expected it at:
9 > After that, it repeats the same thing with the path and name of each
10 > image on the end of the above.  The only thing that changes is the file
11 > name.
12 >
13 > With that, I googled and found this.
16 > https://forum.manjaro.org/t/plasmashell-freezing-after-update/76302/7
17 >
18 > Which had this fix:
19 >
20 > "All good, I found a solution.
21 > I just cleaned all plasma configuration with rm ~/.config/plasma* and
22 > logged in my session again."
23 >
24 > I have these files located there:
27 > root@fireball / # ls -al /home/dale/.config/plasma*
28 > -rw-rw-r-- 1 dale users    35 Oct 16  2017
29 > /home/dale/.config/plasma_calendar_holiday_regions
30 > -rw-rw-r-- 1 dale users    26 Oct 16  2017
31 > /home/dale/.config/plasma-localerc
32 > -rw------- 1 dale users    34 Oct 10 08:16 /home/dale/.config/plasmanotifyrc
33 > -rw-rw-r-- 1 dale users 11262 Dec 24 13:01
34 > /home/dale/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc
35 > -rw-rw-r-- 1 dale users    68 May  3  2018 /home/dale/.config/plasmarc
36 > -rw-rw-r-- 1 dale users   974 Dec 23 10:40 /home/dale/.config/plasmashellrc
37 > -rw------- 1 dale users   207 Mar 24  2018
38 > /home/dale/.config/plasma_workspace.notifyrc
39 > root@fireball / #
42 > I'd think the 1st, 4th and last one wouldn't be the ones, but what do I
43 > know.  I'd think the others could be something.  Still, I went digging
44 > through them all.  The file plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc has
45 > many mentions of wallpapers and lists directories of where they are.  So
46 > far, #1 suspect.  After checking the other files, no mention of
47 > wallpapers found.  I know, I could have used grep for this but . . .
48 >
49 > OK.  I renamed the file with .old.  Logged out and back in again and
50 > lost pretty much every setting I had.  No big surprise just slightly
51 > annoying.  Anyway, after getting things back to being usable, I added
52 > the wallpaper directory back, the monster directory, and guess what,
53 > same thing.  CPU went to 100% on one core and stayed there.  Now it just
54 > so happens that a friend came up to visit and we ended up talking for a
55 > good hour or so.  When I came back, it was still banging away doing
56 > whatever silliness it is doing.  So, we up to about a hour without it
57 > completing whatever it is doing.  Do I really want to go through this
58 > with every login???
59 >
60 > So, it seem that when they changed the random only part of this to being
61 > able to do them in order, they added some indexing system or something
62 > without thinking about people who may have quite a few of wallpapers.  I
63 > guess in the meantime, I'm going to have to whittle down the directories
64 > or something.  Of course, I could add my directory for my camera pics
65 > and see if it just plain blows up or something.  That would add another
66 > 50,000 images and push the total over 200,000 at that point.  ROFLMBO
67 >
68 > It sucks when they improve one thing but then basically break the whole
69 > thing in the process.  ROFL
70 >
71 > Now to see what other replies I have.
72 >
73 > Thanks much.
74 >
75 > Dale
76 >
77 > :-)  :-)
81 OK.  I finally got around to rebooting.  Took me a while but anyway.
82 When I logged into KDE, nothing plasma was working.  There was no
83 background at all, no panel thingy at the bottom, just nothingness.  It
84 was ugly.  I used the ctrl F* key to get where I could see gkrellm.  One
85 core of the CPU was banging away at something.  I had a suspect too.
86 ;-)  I let it sit for a bit and sure enough, the panel thingy showed up,
87 my background popped up and the output for the TVs also kicked in.
88
89 So, the "fix" for making things not random is to bog plasma down with
90 some index/db/whatever thingy.  I guess until there is a proper fix,
91 I'll just have to whittle this thing down some more.  It took a couple
92 minutes or so to do whatever it is doing too.  Sort of had me worried
93 for a minute there.  My first problem was X itself not coming up.  After
94 trying the usual suspects, restarting udev fixed that.  I'm not sure
95 what to think about that.  :/
96
97 Thanks to all.  Just wanted to give a update.
98
99 Dale
100