From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Huh? Can't find a KDE volume control
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 17:35:36
1 On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 10:24 AM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 10:18 AM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
4 > wrote:
5 >
6 >> On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 9:14 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
7 >> wrote:
8 >>
9 >>> On Thursday 12 June 2008, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
10 >>> > Okay, thanks . But I just did that and it has no discernable effect
11 >>> > on the game sounds from, for instance,
12 >>> > konquest or kmahjongg.
13 >>> >
14 >>> > For that matter, neither does setting the Master control to zero on
15 >>> > alsamixer.
16 >>> >
17 >>> > There must be something else I don't understand. (there's always
18 >>> > something!)
19 >>>
20 >>> Did you run alsaconf to set things up, and is the correct module for
21 >>> your sound card loaded?
22 >>>
23 >>> I'm a bit vague about setup (it was years ago), but I just ran alsaconf
24 >> to see the startup window, and it looked familiar. But even running that
25 >> much shut down the whole sound system, so I ran the whole thing. Now I'm
26 >> having trouble getting any sound at all...
27 >>
28 >> The modules loaded seem right: a slew of EMU10K1 things.
29 >>
30 >> I guess I'll reboot and see what happens.
31 >>
32 >> ++ kevin
33 >>
34 > Well, it wasn't quite that bad. Just restarting X got back my sounds. All
35 > of them. Including the game
36 > sounds, whether or not I mute output in kmix. Hmph.
39 Okay, so I got mad and just shut down all the kmix sliders. That finally
40 shut it up. What's really unexpected
41 is that I get "normal" (to my low-functioning ears) sound just by turning on
42 "wave surround". With everything
43 else muted and all other sliders at the bottom.
44
45 It appears only one control actually does anything. Double Hmph.
46
47 ++ kevin
52 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD