From: Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ebuild for net-mail/mailman
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 23:18:57
1 On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 09:54:00 -0500 (EST)
2 A. Khattri wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, 20 Feb 2006, Jonatan Antoni wrote:
5 >
6 > > I've just emerged mailman-2.1.7 and noticed that it is installed to
7 > > /usr/local/mailman.
8 > >
9 > > IMHO the /usr/local-directory is not the right place for installing
10 > > software by a package-management. I think it would be much better to
11 > > place it to /opt or split the package up into the existing /usr-directory.
12 >
13 > Generally, /opt in Gentoo is for binary-only or commercial packages.
14 >
15 > Its perfectly reasonable to have local stuff under /usr/local (see FHS:
16 > http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.2/fhs-4.9.html).
19 in FHS that may be true, but IIRC it is not allowed for ebuilds. In fact
20 I got stomped on in bugzilla for suggesting it in realtion to a
21 different package.
22
23 My install of mailman is also in /usr/local but I had never noticed this
24 breach of ebuild etiquette before this thread mentioned it. Maybe there
25 is some good reason in this case .
26
27 > > Of course, you can change where
28 stuff gets installed too. > > -- > > -- > gentoo-user@g.o mailing