From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT - New kernel and now xv won't work with mplayer
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 07:29:34
1 Am 23.04.2012 02:26, schrieb Michael Sullivan:
2 > First off, this has probably been discussed before, but I can't find it
3 > on google. I've spent the last several hours searching for the answer
4 > to this and I can't find it.
5 >
6 [...]
7 > So far I am
8 > very happy with 3.2.1-r2 on my PC except for one thing: xv doesn't seem
9 > to work anymore. On my old kernel, and indeed every kernel I've run on
10 > this computer since 2005 xv has worked. I haven't changed any hardware
11 > in this computer recently or ever. When I run mplayer I see this in the
12 > output:
13 >
14 > [VO_XV] It seems there is no Xvideo support for your video card available.
15 > [VO_XV] Run 'xvinfo' to verify its Xv support and read
16 > [VO_XV] DOCS/HTML/en/video.html#xv!
17 > [VO_XV] See 'mplayer -vo help' for other (non-xv) video out drivers.
18 > [VO_XV] Try -vo x11.
19 > Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo) device.
22 > I kept reading about xvinfo included in XFree86 distribution. I use
23 > xorg-x11. I found out that xvinfo can be emerged. I did so and it said
24 > this:
25 >
26 > X-Video Extension version 2.2
27 > screen #0
28 > no adaptors present
31 > which shouldn't be right because I've been using xv with mplayer for
32 > years. I assumed then that it was a module problem somewhere. I hadn't
33 > run a qlist -I -C x11-drivers/ recently so I did and remerged all the
34 > packages there.
35 >
36 > My video card info from lspci -v:
37 >
38 > 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82915G/GV/910GL
39 > Integrated Graphics Controller (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
40 > Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device 5647
41 [...]
42 > I can successfully modprobe the i915 module. Everything that can be is
43 > built with the xv USE flag on. Is there anything else I
44 > need to do to get my xv to work with mplayer?
47 Can you run mplayer with -vo gl?
48 Do other video players have the same problem, e.g. VLC?
49
50 Regards,
51 Florian Philipp