From: v_2e@×××.net
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Goodbye to gentoo?
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 10:39:11
1 Hello!
2
3 On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 18:44:20 -0600
4 Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >
6 > You need to edit the file to remove duplicates and redundant mirrors
7 > (I can usually do it inside emacs in two minutes or less), and then
8 > check what files you already have in /usr/portage/distfiles (with a
9 > tiny bash script). You get the list of files you need, and only select
10 > those from the list of URLs, and then you have the files you need to
11 > download. You go back to the wi-fi cafe, download the files on a USB
12 > drive, and return home to put them on /usr/portage/distfiles. And then
13 > you can upgrade world.
14 >
15 I just wanted to note that it may be unnecessary to edit a list of
16 files in editor to remove the extra mirrors. I usually do:
17
18 cat files-to-fetch.lst | cut -d " " -f1 | wget -c -i -
19
20 and it downloads only using the first mirror for every file. It doesn't
21 check for the existing files though. So it depends on the situation. I
22 use my broadband Internet connection at work to fetch any number of
23 files for my home PC. So it doesn't matter for me whether I download
24 some files that I already have, but it may be important in your case.
25 Perhaps, it would be useful if emerge had such a feature - to
26 generate a list of files that do really need to be downloaded.
27
28 Regards,
29 Vladimir
32 -----