From: Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: How to get plain ascii from "man"?
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 22:50:24
1 On 2009-03-25, Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 5:12 PM, Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com> wrote:
3 >> How do you get a plain ascii file (no backspacing, no escape
4 >> sequences) out of "man"? Running it through col or colcrt
5 >> doesn't work anymore, because the default output contains ANSI
6 >> color escape sequences.
7 >>
8 >> grotty apparently outputs ANSI color escape sequences
9 >> regardless of whether or not the output is a tty and regardless
10 >> of the TERM setting.
11 >>
12 >> Who decided that everyting in the friggin' world was an ANSI
13 >> color crt even if it's not a tty and TERM isn't set?
14 >
15 > Edit /etc/man.conf and add -c to the commandline for TROFF,
16 > NROFF and JNROFF. Then "man program | col -bf" or your method
17 > of choice should work. There is a note in the man.conf
18 > comments about it.
19
20 That didn't work for me. Does it work for you?
21
22 I also tried manually running groff using the -c flag, and that
23 didn't work either.
24
25 [Actually, I didn't edit /etc/man.conf -- I copied it somewhere
26 else and edited that file, then pointed man to the modified
27 file using the -C option.]
30 Grant Edwards grante Yow! I would like to
31 at urinate in an OVULAR,
32 visi.com porcelain pool --